[HIG] Welcome to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines working group

Hi folks!

Below is the list of people who volunteered today to participate in
creating the GNOME HI Guidelines.  That should match the membership
of this list at the moment.  As the list admin, I think current
policy is that anyone can join, but they do have to be confirmed
manually by me first; that should help keep this list focused on the
HI Guidelines, as I'll encourage folks to use the usability@gnome.org
list for more general usability conversations.

It would be a good idea, I think, for everybody on the list to send a
brief introduction describing their background wrt GNOME and
usability.  I'll send mine in a separate note.

Anyway, here are some suggestions for next steps:
1) We need to pick a team lead.
2) We need to set some project milestones, specifically for the short
(~10 page) document we agreed to provide for GNOME 2.0, and the ~50
item usability checklist as well.
3) We need to figure out who's doing what.
4) We need to figure out logistics like whether and where we can put
documents in CVS, etc.

As for (1) -- if nobody else wants to lead the group, I'd be happy
to.  Here are some pros and cons about this (certainly not an
exhaustive list :)

Pros:
* I have a background in usability, albeit not the strongest one here
(more about this in my intro :)
* I have some project management experience
* I know a bunch of GNOME hackers and tend to have pretty good
relationships with them
* I have time at the moment to commit to this.

Cons:
* I'm looking for a job doing usability/interaction design; assuming
I get one at some point in the next couple of months, I may have to
drop or deemphasize the time I spend on this project.  (Of course, if
I were to get a job doing HCI work on GNOME, that might not be a
problem.  hint hint. :)
* I have little experience developing or doing interface work on
desktop applications; most of my career I've been working on
web-based applications.  I've been a GNOME *user* for quite a few
years, and hung out with a lot of GNOME hackers at Eazel, so I've
spent a lot of time thinking about usability issues.
* I've never written a set of UI style guides.  (I've been reading
them for years, though).
* I've never managed/maintained an open source project.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

Later,
Adam

Core team:
Adam Elman (adam) <aelman@users.sourceforge.net>
Gregory Merchan (auspez) <merchan@phys.lsu.edu>
Colin Z. Robertson (colin_zr) <c.z.robertson@ndirect.co.uk>
Calum Benson (calum) <calum.benson@sun.com>

Secondary team (reviewers/contributors):
Andrea Mankoski (andi) <andi@eng.sun.com>
Suzanna Smith (suz) <suzanna.smith@sun.com>
Jon Tollefson (kniht) <tollefso@chartermi.net>
Maciej Stachowiak (mjs) <mjs@noisehavoc.org>