Re: [guppi-list] New Guppi Snapshot

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 linas@linas.org wrote:

> Out of idle curiosity: why doesn't anybody ever mention using corba
> IDL's to define the programming interfaces?  Is it because CORBA is
> too messy?  To hard to set up?  auto-generates ugly C++ bindings?
> To hard to understand? too hard to use?  Lacks IDL-to-scheme stub
> generator?  'stubs are evil'?
>
> I'm wondering because corba was envisioned to be this nice
> cross-language thingy, and it never really filled that promise,
> and I'm trying to figure out if it should be fixed, or abandoned, or if
> its best left onn the sidelines, as it is today.

CORBA is good for IPC and defining interfaces between components and all,
but defining local library APIs nicely is a different task that requires
things like native data types and programming constructs, and hand coding.
CORBA is good at what it does (interoperability), but trying to make it
fit other things leads to pain.

-- Elliot
DEAR IRS, Please cancel my subscription.