Re: [guppi-list] text import glitch

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Asger K. Alstrup Nielsen wrote:

> My Visual C++ 6.0 compiled version accepts this just fine...
> What is the problem?

It parses it incorrectly, but the exact error is at work. It must be some
kind of egcs artifact so I'll look into it myself. Thanks for checking on
MS C++.

> I see that you have updated the tree with some new stuff.
> So is the problem still there?

Yes, I didn't change any of the parsing code. (I hopefully didn't break
anything and it should all be source compatible... that was the intent
anyway.:-)

> Regarding the ownership of the DataSets and the DataConverters:
> Yes, the user of the AsciiImport will own these structures.
> In my code, I have a use for the DataConverters that the
> Ascii Import produces, because I use the same ones for the
> parsing and presentation when the user does interactive
> editing of the data.

Cool.

> Regarding the new type tags:  In my code, I explicitly manage
> the DataSet and DataConverters outside of goose scope.  I thought
> that Jon preferred to make the DataSets DataConverter ignorant,
> and that makes sense to me.
> So, I keep a pair<DataSet *, DataConverter *> around in order to
> solve this problem.  It works great for me, so I'm not sure we
> really need the type tags, but it's up to you to decide.

I felt that I needed them to determine what kinds of DataSets were in
the vector<DataSet*> returned from AsciiImport. Did you have a different
mechanism in mind?

Havoc