Re: [guppi-list] Re: Breaking Guppi News

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 09:11:00AM -0800, Conrad Steenberg wrote:
> I'm trying to compile guppi3, and get an undefined reference to
> scm_strport_to_string.
>
> What is the version of guile required/you use to compile guppi? I still
> have guile-1.3-6 from redhat-6.0.

I'm using guile 1.3.4.

Older versions of guile (like 1.3) didn't provide a complete API for
dealing with strports, so the only way to accomplish some pretty basic
stuff was to go in and poke around inside of data structures and make
use of grotty implementation details.  This changed in 1.3.4 (maybe in
1.3.2, actually), along with said implementation details --- so the
old guppi2 code promptly broke.  (This actually ended up being a very
difficult bug to track down and fix.)

Maybe I should have #ifdef-ed this, but it seems wrong to support such
obviously broken behavior. :-)

--
COMINT secret | Jam Echelon! http://www.echelon.wiretapped.net | NSA explosives
assassin terrorist car bomb tactical bin laden waco white house nuclear clinton