Re: [guppi-list] Guppi hits CVS

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Mark Galassi wrote:

> [note: the CVS modules are actually guppi, gtk--plot and goose]

Ah, an important point. Thanks.

> 1. in what order should they be built?  and what sequence of build
>    instructions would get something visible to happen?

This is what you need:

gnome-libs [and all its dependencies]
gtk--
gtk--plot
goose
guppi

Goose can actually go in any order; it's a standalone package. It even
builds on Windows, I think. Or will soon.

It is important to use gtk-- from CVS, and configure it *after* installing
Gnome, so that Gnome-- builds. The Gtk-- module should install libgtkmm,
libgtkmmdraw, and libgnomemm. All three are needed. Be sure to nuke
config.cache, etc. before running configure.

Guppi requires egcs 1.0 or better. gcc 2.8 might work, but I haven't tried
it. It may work with other reasonably up-to-date compilers, but I imagine
it would need some simple patches first.

> 2. I do the autogen gig in guppi and I get
>
> checking if /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-config works... yes
> ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_PATH_GTKMM(0.9.16)'
> ./configure: ./configure: line 1827: `AM_PATH_GTKMM(0.9.16)'

This should be in gtk--.m4, installed by gtk--.

> 3. gtk--plot/autogen.sh does not run configure, whereas all other
>    GNOME autogen.sh files do.

This should probably be fixed; it's on my unwritten TODO list. I need to
add gtk--draw features to the -config script for gtk--, so that I can
reliably check for it. gtk--plot does not actually require Gnome, that's
why it hasn't been set up with a macros dir. But since it's on CVS it may
as well have one.

> 4. goose configures well, but compiling it failes with:
>
> c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/opt/gnome/include -g -O2 -Wp,-MD,.deps/DataImport.p -c -fPIC -DPIC DataImport.cpp
> In file included from DataImport.h:33,
>                  from DataImport.cpp:26:
> DataSet.h:37: Exception.h: No such file or directory

Jon just applied an exception-handling patch, and probably forgot to cvs
add this file. I imagine he'll check it in as soon as he reads this.

Thanks for being a build guinea pig, as you can see we have some growing
pains. It *is* possible to build this software, I swear! :-)

Havoc