guppi/goose and R

Hello,
I was glad when i saw a statistical/graphical programm for gnome, but
do you known R ?
http://fangorn.ci.tuwien.ac.at
It's a GPLed statiscal language based on the S language (who have a
commercial protuct in the S-Plus program (near available for Linux in
Fall) , it's very
powerful with lots of library for data modeling and good graphical
capability , but's primiraly it's a language
and rather difficult for beginner or for simple descriptive analyse of
data.
I'm not a core menber of the R development team, but i use it, and in
my  par time I try to make a gtk gui for it, but i never succed (my
knownledge of C is too recent and bad [I'm a french medical  'intern'
who specialize in public health(medical informatic and statistic]).
As R is a relatively structured language, my first attempt was to
emulate the gnome frontend for linuxconf to make easyer the acces to some
feature of R :
interacting with data via a spreasheet like interface
and make some useful data analyse through dialogs.
R, [as a good thing ] is like unix (and Linux) for some task it's better done
with mouse, and for other task (more advanced) he revealed all it's
capability through a command line interface.
I know a gui is on the TODO file of the R developper, but at this time
the developpers are more involved in statistical work than in a
interface questions.
Is something who know R in this list ? I think it's a good idea to
make a graphical interface to R because :
	you don't have to reinvente the wheel for the statistical computing
	R is source compatible with a standard with R we can use
library and programms developped for S and S-Plus
	it's good to have a polyvalent engine with gui and command
line interface

What's the future plan for guppi/goose, because, with my modest i'll
like to help to make a good (user friendly *and* powerfull) GPLed
software for data analysis and statistics.

Sorry for my bad english

--
Hervé Dréau Interne en Médecine
hdreau@worldnet.fr dreau@hbroussais.fr