Re: [gupnp] DLNA profile detection & automatic transcoding

Hi,

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 01:39 +0300, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:

>   Now all this sounds really exciting, however we have one issue:
> gst-convenience library this all depends on, according to Edward will
> not be getting merged into gst-plugins-base for another two months. We
> can wait for that to happen but that will be too late to get it tested
> (by many people) before GNOME 3.0 and we wouldn't want that to happen.
> So as a temporary workaround, Arun and I have decided to move the
> gst-convenience (its not really big) into gupnp-av. Arun has promised
> to make sure that this internalized copy is up2date every week. Once
> gst-convenience is merged into gst-plugins-base, we'll get rid of this
> internalized copy.

Does this mean that gupnp-av will get a dependency on GStreamer? That
would be very unfortunate. Serving media should not depend on a media
decoding/playback framework. We don't even have GStreamer installed on
the device that hosts our media server.

Can't we just add the necessary APIs to gupnp-av that allows to hook in
custom DLNA profile detection?

Greetings,
Sven