[gugmasters] User group budget mini FAQ

Some days ago, I sent Dave an email asking some info about the call
for hmm sponsoring-ideas?.

Well, I asked him some stuff we agreed it would be worth fwding to the
list. Here they are:

1. Do we need a foundation member to receive support from the
Foundation? (read: I'm still waiting for an answer of my apply)

No - the foundation's role is to promote GNOME and facilitate its
development. So since you would be promoting GNOME, that comes under our
role.

2. Do we need a legal representation of some particular kind to
receive whatever is donated? How is this handled?

You will need a bank account - and it would be better if it were the
bank account of a free software-related non-profit.

I can imagine that -for example- if you pay the tickets of -let's say-
Federico Mena Quintero so he can give a speak here you would do the
easiest: buy the tickets as Gnome Foundation and handle them to
Federico. Is that how it works?

We can buy tickets, but usually it's easier for us to reimburse.

3. Can we ask for founding to do t-shirts or stickers or $merchandising?

Yes.

4. What kind of report is expected about how we spent the resources
the Foundation handled us?

We'll need (1) a proof of purchase for all expenditures after the fact
and (2) some kind of report on the event (a good blog entry with photos
would probably do) thanking the foundation for their support.

I think some of the questions on my email might prove useful to be
sent to the gugmasters-list as a FAQ, don't you think?.

Absolutely - as I said at the start :)

In general though, we're not going to be able to grant 100% of all grant
requests - we do have a limited budget and will judge each request on
its merits. What we really need from groups now is an estimate of how
much they think they'll need to ask for during the year.

Cheers,
Dave.

(end of mini fwd)

Well, that's it. Hope it helps solve doubts :).

Greetings,

Diego Escalante