Re: Re : [guadec-list] Urgent : Printed Program Status

Hi,

Shaun McCance wrote:
> Whatever gets the job done.  Right now, I don't even have a clear
> sense of what I should be writing, and that's a big problem.  Is
> the information on the wiki even a correct representation?
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GUADEC2006/PrintedContent
>
> 140 pages is a lot of pages.  I don't think we should need more
> than about 60-70 pages total.

We've had this discussion, and I proposed an alternative format with 40
pages: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/guadec-list/2006-May/msg00016.html

However, I'm not doing anything with the programme, and I trust that
we'll have something reasonable on time - it's happened miraculously in
the past (usually with a designer being paid to cobble something
together in the last fortnight, complete with all-nighter sessions at
the printers, grabbing wet ink copies to rush to catch the plane) (I'm
exaggerating slightly).

So - I've had my say, and the format chosen at this stage really is un
to the doers.

My gut feeling is that we have too much on our plates, and that we need
to slim down on everything and start bazaaring as much as possible -
this is already happening (witness the embedded forum, the football
match and the jam session) but it needs to happen more. The final phase
of organising the conference is getting the word out - web banners,
magazine ads & articles, phone calls & emails to journalists; the other
 phase (the most fun) is paying for everything.

But I would hate to see us blow a chunk of the money we've raised for
the conference on professional help because we over-reached.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary