[guadec-list] Weekly meeting summary & log

Summary of the GUADEC weekly meeting finished right now:

We discussed local + website + keynotes

to get the local groups involved - I need to delegate all I still have,
guadec-local is the list for this and a sucessful local meeting needs to
be organized

website: we have 2 critical bugs + a registration that needs to be
urgently done in order to have v1.0 + the homepage is clearer now

keynotes: we need to have them clear asap + the skeleton schedule should
start reflecting how the guadec schedule will be like

The full log:

qgil: 21h Vilanova time. _Devin_, bolsh, dexem, halfline, ldng, tavon,
terral, tko, toniher, vuntz and wingo are invited to the GUADEC weekly
meeting
qgil: those wiling to take part, please say hello or smile :)
toniher: hi, I will grab a beer to my side and I will join you :)
qgil: great, we can adapt the topics discussed to the active
participants
qgil: so we could start talking about the local organization :)
qgil: did you meet last saturday?
toniher: Now, we were just two... And I offered lluis my jabber account
and meeting here if he wanted to talk about...
toniher: :(
ldng: hi
qgil: hi ldng
tavon: hello
qgil: ok, I still have a local ToDo list of things basically I need to
delegate
qgil:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/guadec-list/2006-March/msg00000.html
ldng: A sum up of events would be nice has I am ... 38 mails behind :(
qgil: ldng: I think we could say that a,lmost nothing has advanced on
the local side... :/
qgil: maybe I'm being too negative
ldng: hum
qgil: I hope the recently created guadec-local list will hel,p moving
things forward
ldng: or sadly right :(
qgil: toniher and ldng, you need to olrganize a local meeting getting
some of the local groups in it
ldng: Took contact with press student but didn't had answers yet
qgil: can you please concentrate on this?
toniher: I have mailed gnome-l10n-ca group... may you take a look, qgil,
and see how many people are subscribed by now?
qgil: toniher: wingo is admin of this list, not me
toniher: ok
qgil: you should be admin too
ldng: toniher, where do you actually live ?
qgil: can you send the url to the list with some kind of invitation
please
toniher: Yes, it would be useful in order to see how people are
responding.
toniher: ldng: In Cerdanyola del Vall�qgil: making clear it's not an English speaking list to thos that speak
no Catalan/Spanish
ldng: toniher, :D
ldng: Ripollet !
ldng: lol
toniher: oh! perfect
toniher: We may meet for a beer :D
qgil: so you can mean in... Ciutat Badia or so ;)
ldng: yeah, at list we can meet quickly to setup things, that's nice
ldng: s/list/least/
qgil: please, between you 2, wingo an llu�you have enough brain and
resources to move all the local groups and volunteers
qgil: "just" get coordinated
toniher: sure, gqil... we should concentrate on different tasks or
groups...
qgil: the top poijt in my local ToDo list is to have a list of very
specific actions/responsibilities extracted from an updated
http://live.gnome.org/GUADEC2006/TaskList
qgil: I will report at guadec-local directly
qgil: toniher: you can just forward to guadec-list what you have sent to
l10n
qgil: Softcatal�nd LaFarga news wil be also useful
ldng: and maybe badopi as well
qgil: sure, the more the better
qgil: puntbarra...
qgil: so.. anything else about the local topic?
qgil: (please fix a date for the next meeting asap, this with the local
groups, if possible 2-3 weeks in adavnce so people (like myself) can get
organized
qgil: thanks :)
qgil: also, I wil make sure the Vilanova and STSI people are subscribed
and active in guadec-local
qgil: right
qgil: tavon: news about the website?
ldng: well this would lead us to April 1st or 8th
qgil: think of Easter, ldng
qgil: (I have no idea when Easter btw) :)
toniher: let me check, when it's Easter...
ldng: huumm true
ldng: or 25th March but that's short
toniher: uuh,,,,
qgil: tavon: ping
qgil: ldng, toniher, si better to have a successful meeting in 3 weeks
rather than yet another unattended meeting in 10 days
qgil: making sure people attend to a meeting takes time and emails and
even some voice calls
tavon: qgil: pong
tavon: update about the website...
tavon: Please checkout the website section on lgo
(http://live.gnome.org/GUADEC2006/Website)
tavon: I've posted PDD(Page Description Diagrams) and Wireframes to give
a general sense on how I want to organize and go with the website
tavon: I'd appreciate feedback on the different sections/layouts
tavon: I'm still working on the theme on my local machine
tavon: I received a mysqldump from the sysadmin on gnome.org so I have a
copy from last thursday or so
tavon: I'm keeping in a local SVN repository but I'd like to move it to
a public CVS/SVN repository
tavon: I'm hoping that the PDD/Wireframes and a public CVS repository
will be enough resources for other people to contribute to the theme
tavon: as you can tell, there are many aspects of the website that still
needs work not only theming but content wise as in pages
tavon: any questions of far?
tavon: or objections?
tavon: qgil: what would you like to do from now on?
qgil: have you seen my email at guadec-list today about leaving the beta
stage?
tavon: yes, I understood the major component was about the registration
part
qgil: I think there are only 2 critical bugs assigned to you
tavon: okay
qgil: about the wireframes, I gave you my opinion yesterday, ok but
let's see how are they implemented
qgil: I still think we don't need giant footers
qgil: also, I wouldn't expect much contributions and participation in
shot term actions
ldng: tavon, wireframe look nice
tavon: i hope it's enough to give a clear idea of how the site will be
organized
tavon: I do have some questions about the presentation listing and
content in the GUADEC2006 section
ldng: tavon, a priori, what would be your deadline for all of these to
be more or less usable ?
tavon: Under Event/Schedule, I understand we need to list schedules,
different events, but how do I organize BOF's/Expos
tavon: ldng: to get all the components finished will be at least a
week's work
tavon: i'm still working on repeating elements such as the footer and
major blocks
ldng: maybe a grosser version could be done as soon as possible and next
refine as needed
ldng: what do you think ?
tavon: yes
tavon: I agree
tavon: the "grosser" version would just be less content
tavon: not necessarily uglier
ldng: we really need to be operational
ldng: no, but functional :)
qgil: tavon: personally I can't think of BOFs/Expos before having
navigation, homepage and regiustration (plus related pages) finished
ldng: I don't think that gnomey's are that exigent !
qgil: we haven't even discussed how BOFs and expos fit in the GUADEC
schedule...
ldng: I agree, those things can be added later
tavon: Can we take some time now to list what the highest priorities
are?
ldng: homepage, registration
ldng: to me
tavon: homepage is too vague
ldng: the rest, on the road
qgil: homepage is the first page, this is not that vague :)
tavon: i see
ldng: tavon, the first page that give you insight of what and where the
event is
bolsh: hi
ldng: :)
ldng: bolsh, hi !
tavon: let's look at the wireframe and point out what
blocks/content/banners you want done by tomorrow
tavon: bolsh: hi
qgil: hi bolsh (comngrats for surviving to libregraphics) :)
tavon: so you want me to work on the homepage like the wireframe right?
bolsh: thanks :)
tavon: with a banner that lists what GUADEC is
tavon: and a decorated Sponsors block
ldng: bolsh, how did it went ?
bolsh: great :)
bolsh: some good ideas for future guadecs
bolsh: or probably more likely summits
qgil: I hope "future" includes 2006 :)
ldng: lol
bolsh: 1. Don't buy as many t-shirts as you are expecting participants
ldng: tavon, yes, more or less, I think that would do it
bolsh: 2. Before you start buying mostly L and XL t-shirts, check the
size of the Ls.
tavon: ok
bolsh: 3. One stream of talks, with break-off time after them, is great
bolsh: 4. 15 minutes between talks is neither too much nor not enough
bolsh: 30 minutes is too much
qgil: (I see bolsh hasn't slept yet 12h) :)
qgil: ok, about the hoimepage -
http://live.gnome.org/GUADEC2006/Website?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=guadec_2006_wireframe_homepage.png
ldng: 20 min then between each
qgil: I think the banner doesn't need to be so big, I rather have 2
columns and then login/register + sponsors go up
bolsh: qgil: Nope
qgil: 1 promotional block should list "What you can do now at GUADEC" or
something like that
bolsh: ldng: N - I said 15 minutes was great
tavon: qgil: please keep in mind that the wireframes are not 1:1 with a
website... it's a A4 layout so the banner is slightly wider than what
it'll look on screen
qgil: submit a presentation, register, book accommodation, request
invitation letter etc etc
tavon: ok
qgil: this list would evolve as the calendar goes on
bolsh: qgil: I honestly tried to create a block with an RSS stream of
articles that were of the Presentation type - I failed
qgil: bolsh: tavon is the expert here
tavon: i'll get a page lists the presentation nodes
tavon: i just need to figure out the flexinode type
qgil: ideas fot the other promotional block?
bolsh: tavon: How will you do it? With the content admin section, or
directly in blocks?
bolsh: tavon: Can you perhaps write a little HOWTO while you're doing
it?
tavon: bolsh: sure, I'm thinking a page that lists all the presentations
types like when you click on a taxonomy term
bolsh: what's taxonomy?
tavon: we can either create a taxonomy term called "Presentations" then
go to http://beta.gnome.org/taxonomy/term/(tid)/all
tavon: taxonomy is Drupal's category system
qgil: ok, let's have a promotional block about the speakers, then?
tavon: qgil: i can think of a better one :)
qgil: can or can't? :)
tavon: we could just have a "New to GUADEC?" type of promotional block
tavon: qgil: we can
qgil: isn't this the function of your big footer?
tavon: qgil: oh yeah... :)
bolsh: Nice google news
tavon: qgil: btw, do we have pictures/bio of the keynote speakers?
qgil: tavon: bolsh is you keunote speakers man
tavon: bolsh: "btw, do we have pictures/bio of the keynote speakers?:
bolsh: qgil: W will have to hand-hold keynotes a bit
bolsh: tavon: We can certainly ask for some
qgil: bolsh: ok, that's fine
qgil: tavon: about my suggestion of "things I can do�" type of
promotional block
tavon: qgil: right
qgil: I was thinking that in fact this is something related to
login/register, isn't it?
tavon: qgil: i'm not sure
tavon: is it?
tavon: how is it related to login/register?
qgil: to perform most actions you need to login or register
qgil: sounds stupid but this is the link :)
qgil: instead fo having a login/register block standing alone
qgil: we could give it some context
qgil: this way people understand why it's useful to login/register
tavon: qgil: either way, I'd think it would be better to still have a
sign up/login button as well
qgil: in fact, once registered, th "qgil" block lists all the acvtions i
can perform
tavon: in case people are not logged in or plainly refuse to read the
"things I can do" block/page
toniher ha sortit de la sala (quit: Remote closed the connection).
qgil: I'm not saying you need to remove tje sign up/login button, just
integrate it to the list of actions i.e. submit presentation, register
to guadec, etc
tavon: qgil: I agree there should be a "FAQ" style page that lists
things people can do. I'd say a totally separate page dedicated to
"Here's how you can help" information would be good as well
bolsh: Do we want another keynote?
qgil: bolsh: there are at least 6 keynotes in the core days
bolsh: Someone from within the community, in the style of miguel, nat,
jeff...
bolsh: I haven't actually asked anyone else
qgil: we can start thinking for keynotes on the weekend and after hours,
since it's starting to be clear that guadec will last a whole wqeekl
tavon: qgil: so you want to included specfiic actions to menus in the
user's navigation bar?
bolsh: No need to organise anything after hoursw
bolsh: we just need to centralise what's going on
qgil: I'll continue with tavon :)
bolsh: and have a central place to let people know
ldng: about photos, we should really think to take keynoter in photo in
the guadec for next year brochure, all at one place, one time,
qgil: tavon: I'll try to explain myself better
qgil: in the homepage wireframe there is a block for login/register
qgil: we keep it where it is
toniher [~chatzilla 220 Red-80-37-183 staticIP rima-tde net] ha entrat a
la sala.
tavon: ok
qgil: we just add there the core actions we want users to do now
qgil: i.e. now we want that peop�submit presentations and requests
for sponsorship
tavon: okay isee
qgil: to perform both tasks they need to be registered anyway
qgil: same thing wwhen we start guadec registration
qgil: this way we solve two of the main complaints of the beta site
qgil: - people don't find where to login/register
qgil: - people don't find where to do (whatever we want them to do now)
tavon: ok
qgil: then... we have a second promotional block empty now
qgil: what about GNOME Village to start with, since we want people
booking accommodation there
tavon: What's teh GNOME village?
qgil: and this is a good block to refer to Vilanova, the catalan coast,
barcelona etc
tavon: okay
qgil: where you will sleep
terral: qgil: I want accomodations
terral: qgil: me me me *grin*
tavon: qgil: I don't have any information about the "GNOME Village"
qgil: terral: and I would like to helop you registering now... just
pushing things in order to have online registration ready
terral: qgil: I don't either, and I still want in *grin*
terral: qgil: I am following your suggestions on the travelling. We are
looking at the busses etc.
qgil: tavon: I need to write a page aboiut it, it is also needed for
registration
qgil: but basically for the promotional block... wehat do you need?
tavon: qgil: perhaps we can wait on that and just fill it with a listing
of "New forum topics" and a "New comments" block below it
tavon: and just ahve 1 promotional block for now
qgil: no problem
qgil: in anhy case, you gte an idea by looking at
http://beta.guadec.org/node/165
tavon: okay
qgil: and http://beta.guadec.org/node/166
qgil: so, what else do you need defined about the homepage?
tavon: qgil: I think I'm set
qgil: great :)
tko ha sortit de la sala.
qgil: any doubt about the 2 criticval bugs you have assigned related to
the v1.0 release?
ldng: qgil, can you sum up quickly on what's going on about
accomodation, please ?
ldng: we're going for the village in the end ?
qgil: we are going to recommend people staying in shared bungalows at
http://vilanovapark.es , in the so-called GNOME Village
qgil: we are goint to get a discounted price for a group reservation
done soon
ldng: great
tavon: qgil: please clarify the 2 "critical" bugs for me
qgil: and then the people booking afterwards may get a discount
mentioning they come for GUADEC
tavon: qgil: which ones are they?
qgil: tavon: http://live.gnome.org/GUADEC2006/Website at the top
qgil: I mentiomned in that email today :)
tavon: qgil: it slipped my mind
qgil: of course we will provide as well alternative accommodation in
hotels
tavon: qgil: i'm nto sure what to do with teh image issue as I don't
have permissions to the directory
qgil: provide = provide details of
qgil: request them to sysadmin or ask for their help
qgil: (as said in the bug) :)
qgil: bolsh: keynotes
ldng: qgil, anything new on scheduling
bolsh: qgil?
ldng: you read my mind :)
qgil: I think it's worth that you push in guadec-.planning to have a
basic idea of the keynotes we ant to fill the schedule, co you move
forward on this?
ldng: do we have enough material to start laying out it ?
bolsh: qgil: here's the thing...
qgil: ldng: sorry, I don't understand your question
bolsh: how many keynotes do we want, and what kind?
qgil: 2 par day during the 3 core days at least
qgil: maybe also a welcomign one on sunday afternoon
ldng: qgil, I mean do we have enough keynotes and talks to start to make
a schedule
qgil: (in fact I always think of Kathy Sierra for a great warm up
keynote)
ldng: or a squeleton of schedule
qgil: myh approach is the other way round, ldng
qgil: we have already a skeleton, a structure
qgil: and we could starta ttaching to it the keynotes
ldng: yeah
ldng: but I mean concretize it a bit
qgil: also we could list with php or RSS magic the presentations
submittred for a specific track/perspective
ldng: starting puting the thing in shape
qgil: this would start giving a rough and progressive idea of how GUADEC
schedule will be
qgil: we can't concretize sessions before the call for participation is
finished and the sessions are apoproved / not approved
ldng: people might soon would like to see a timetable, even if it's not
definitive
qgil: this is why I'm suggesting to list all the submissions by now,
making clear this is not the schedule etc
qgil: ldng: but you understand we can't confirm sessions while a call
for participation is open...
ldng: it hasn't been opened ?
ldng: I thought it had
ldng: sorry
qgil: I think my suggestion of placing imn the skeleton all the sessions
submitted satisfies your request
qgil: it's open, it's not closed :)
qgil: tavon: do you thin k this is feasible?
ldng: ouf ! you scared me :)
tavon: qgil: we can do this by categorizing the presentations in
separate taxonomy terms
tavon: very easy
ldng: that would be nice
qgil: ok
qgil: (22h20, time to start finishing...)
ldng: :-D
ldng: I agree
qgil: so we discussed local + website + keynotes
qgil: local: ldng, toniher, wingo i lluis need to coordinate more and
better to get the local groups involved - I need to delegate all I still
have, guadec-local is the list for this and a sucessful local meeting
needs to be organized
qgil: website: we have 2 critical bugs + a registration that needs to be
urgently done in order to have v1.0 + the homepage is clearer now
qgil: keynotes: we need to have them clear asap + the skeleton schedule
should start reflecting how the guadec schedule will be like
qgil: would this serve as summary?
qgil: silent = yes
qgil: thank you for being here and we all have more work now :)