Re: [guadec-list] Call for papers Howto

Hi Dave

En/na David Neary ha escrit:

> Hi Quim,
>
> If you can suggest a better place I'm all ears :)

Maybe it's time to create a GUADEC Organisation Howto.  :)

> 2005 call for papers: http://live.gnome.org/Stuttgart2005/CallForPapers

Great!

> For keynotes, I suggest that we brainstorm a list of 10 or so that we
> would like, and have someone chase them down and try to get 4 or 5.

Good, this is one thing we can do in the first days of the GUADEC
website. I can chase the selected.

> We have always issued a call for papers with some idea of a focus, but
> never with something you could call a solid idea of what the tracks
> would be.

Last summer we had that discussion about the GUADEC and we kind of
decided (again, it was not officially signed off, nor it was rebated) to
have three tracks. I think we should keep this idea.

Proposing 3 tracks:

- Meeting the users
As we said, one track should be friendly with politicians, business
managers, IT managers and anyone coming from outside the GNOME
community. This doesn't mean the track is uninteresting to the
community, au contraire. Success stories on migrations to GNOME based
frew software, presenting big deployments, meeting the distros shipping
GNOME as default browser, showcase of great GTK+ applications...

- Approaching GNOME 3.0
Topaz is our big challenge in the not so mid term. Meeting face to face
is a good opportunity to increase consensus and move forward. Visions,
plans, alpha developments, theory, research and any futurist yet
realistic view are welcome.

- Collecting toughest bones
Complex issues that could benefit from a good GUADEC session to find its
way to a solution. Someone (an individual, a team) exposes the issue,
background, confronted views, possible alternatives... The sessions
should be participative, like BOFs but queen size and open to the
community and beyond. Some session culd be highly technical, others may
have nothing to do with programming i.e. marketing strategy.

> I'm all for opening up the process and having people suggest topics
> and/or speakers. But any topic we choose for presentation must have a
> speaker associated.

Well, I would say that anyone may suggest anything. Some people may have
 in mind a very good topic, others may have a very good speaker.
Collaboration and selection do the rest.

For instance, I'm thinking in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Castells . He is incresingly
interested in the free software phenomena, he is a very good speaker and
I think that an early invitation for an on-topic keynote for the GUADEC
would be enough to let him choose the topic.

--
Quim Gil      http://interactors.coop | http://desdeamericaconamor.org