Re: Barcelona report

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 09:58 +0200, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> I wasn't there the second day when I guess this was discussed, cause on the first
> day when I where there I got the clear impression that the basement
> rooms where available at no extra cost, so maybe additional rooms in
> this sense are rooms in other near by buildings. Guess Tim can clarify.

The rooms in basement are not booked by IGC, so GUADEC will have to pay
extra if we use them for hacking space or anything else. Those rooms
also do not have any equipment (video beamer, audio) in them.  Depending
on what the planning committee decides, the space already booked by IGC
may be enough for GUADEC's needs, particularly on the weekend days.

> Well if they have decided to start charging us a lot for stuff I guess we should
> feel no obligation to not go after separate sponsorship again to cover
> these costs.

GUADEC will need sponsorship and registration revenue to cover the
travel subsidies, marketing and its other costs.

> > > Timetable
> > > 27 May, Sat. Venue available (no staffing) - GUADEC arrivals
> > > 28 May, Sun. Venue available (no staffing) - OPENING DAY GUADEC
> > > 29 May, Mon.  IGC Opening reception
> > > 30 May, Tues. First day of IGC  - 3 GUADEC sessions/3 IGC sessions
> > > 31 May, Wed.  Second day of IGC - 3 GUADEC sessions/3 IGC sessions
>
> > Hrm, I thought were were going to run the developer half of GUADEC at
> > the weekend [Saturday and Sunday], and then have the business user
> > sessions scattered between Monday-Wednesday.

The GUADEC planning committee can program sessions as they want and this
schedule above is a straw dog for planning purposes. It does makes sense
to schedule introductory talks or sessions on deployments for users on
the days that the IGC is in session and hold a lot of developer sessions
before the facility is filled with hundreds of other people.

> > Looks like we're being restricted from our original plans/thoughts. Hrm,
> > not so happy with this one...
> Actually the organizers seemed fine with doing the first day on Saturday, it
> was Tim who preferred to start on Sunday. If we want to start on
> Saturday I am sure they will let us.

These are the days that the board requested - Christian, you missed that
meeting.

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 11:24 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>      Minutes of the Board meeting 2005 June 29
>      =========================================
>
>  * GUADEC 2006 in Barcelona
>    Discussion on the format to find the number of days we need and how
>    many rooms.
>    Asking for rooms from Saturday 27 to Wednesday 31 included

The building is not booked before the 27th, so any earlier arrivals or activity
would need to take place somewhere else. Many students or participants with jobs, particularly
those traveling from outside Europe, can be expected to arrive in Barcelona on Saturday morning.
As in Stuttgart, it is possible to organize pre-conference social events and hacking
sessions.  We have use of the facility starting the 27th and hospitable local hosts.

tim