Re: [guadec-list] Re: Barcelona report

Hi all,
Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">

At least one reason... there were a number of things that didn't work
well in Stuttgart that need to be fixed. We once again had too many
parallel sessions, too much stuff on the schedule, too many
unanticipated sessions that had to be added in the weeks before the
conference.

What is the rationale to claim we had too many sessions at GUADEC in
Stuttgart? I hear this repeated by some as an absolute truth, but I never
seen anyone give any explanation for it.

It comes from the belief that GUADEC should be less about preaching, more
about participation. So the more talk sessions you have, the less BOF and
hacktime sessions you have.

Also as far as I know there wasn't any non-userday tracks that where
consistently lacking participants, rather the opposite.

Yes, they were very successful. We had an awesome line-up of talks! However,
the view David is putting forward is not based on whether that model can be
successful, it's whether we want to pursue that model at all... Is GUADEC
meant to be a bunch of talks, or is it meant to be a whole lotta discussion
and hacking?

last GUADEC was my first. I had a tutorial style talk (the one about unit tests) and I would have loved to get to get together with some people who would like to equip their projects with a test suite. So in general I would find it cool if people after a session could say, that was interesting - 'we got to try to apply this to our project', but not have to wait until they are at home. Trying it immediately while the one who gave the talk is around could accelerate the whole thing a bit.

There a re lots of cool tools and techniques popping us here and there. I see GUADEC as an event for developers to meet and exchange knowledge.

Stefan