Re: Late night drinking in dublin

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:36:00 +0100
> From: Telsa Gwynne <hobbit aloss ukuu org uk>
> To: guadec-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Late night drinking in dublin
>
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 09:21:22PM +0100 or thereabouts, Mark Finlay wrote:
> > http://www.guadec.org/guide/telsatips/
> >
> > Pah, Pubs may close at 12, but the night clubs go on til around 2,
> > and the wine bars stay open til 5 or 6 ( am :) ).
>
> ...and the talks start again at nine am.  :)

The big party on Tuesday night will be in a pub called Doyles, which is on
the corner of Pearse Street and D'Olier Street (some people may be staying
in a hostel on D'Olier street).  Doyles will be serving alcohol until 2
am, with about half an hours drinking up time as far as I remember

There is a wonderful and hilarious* local satirical magazine called the
Slate (no relation to the Microsoft backed publication of a similar name)
which recently did a survey of early houses for those who feel the need to
drink at 7am.  They are rare but they exist, one if them is the WindJammer
and it is situated behind Trinity College.  (* read: highly offensive
whenever possible, not for the light hearted.  Available free in Tower
Records and various other places).

The preffered method of staying intoxicated all night is to stock up on
booze in advance and go to someones house when the bars close.

Those of you staying in hotels will have the advantage of the residents
bar where you could drink all night.

If anyone is going on a tour of the Dublin Brewing company please let me
know as I have not taken the tour yet myself.

I feel obliged to suggest that you check out the Stags Head Pub, Dame
Lane, off Dame Street, the second oldest pub in Dublin they do a good
solid lunch and if you bought a guidebook they are most likely already
recommended in it.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan.