Re: Wrapping pangocairo.h

On 5/29/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
This patch tries to wrap the new Pango+Cairo functions from here:
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/pango/pango/pangocairo.h?view=markup

However, these additions are not very object orientated, and my attempt
to add them to the appropriate classes also seems a bit awkward. I'd
welcome better suggestions.

I agree that it feels slightly awkward, but I really can't think of a
better way to implement it.

I wonder if this function:
static Glib::RefPtr<Layout> create_from_cairo_context(const
Cairo::RefPtr<Cairo::Context>& context);

could be replaced with a simple overloaded create function, e.g.:
static Glib::RefPtr<Layout> create(const
Cairo::RefPtr<Cairo::Context>& context);

I also have a more basic question about this pangocairo stuff.  Is
this supposed to be an optional backend or is it supposed to be
available everywhere?  I notice that in the Pango documentation, it's
located under "Rendering with Pango"
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/pango/rendering.html) which
includes functions specific to win32 and Xft as well, but as far as I
can tell there are no Xft- or win32-specific functions in pangomm.  Is
the goal to wrap all of this eventually?  Or just the cairo backend
stuff?

Jonner