Re: Build envrionment

On 5/16/06, Paul Davis <pjdavis engineering uiowa edu> wrote:
Howdy,

I was looking through different bugs listed in Bugzilla and I think I
found another one I might be able to fix with the parent/child menu
destruction.

Anyway, this one is a bit more complicated and I want to be able to
compile my changes before I start wasting anyone's time.

Great!

So, the question is, what kind of build environment should I be using?

Is there an easy way to get everything out of CVS?

I like having a copy of the gtk+ source around too for reference, but
when compiling gtkmm, should I be compiling it against libraries I built
for gtk?

And how do you guys keep this stuff separate from the packaged libraries
(meaning libraries managed by my distro's package manager)?  Or do you even?

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you look at the section I wrote
about this as an appendix to the gtkmm tutorial.  You can find it
here: http://gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/apg.html
Basically, jhbuild solves most of these problems for you.  If you're
not using jhbuild, I'd highly recommend it.  It allows you to more
easily do a parallel install of development libraries and makes it
easier to switch back and forth between your development environment
and your distribution-packaged stable environment.

Also, If you run into places in that brief tutorial that are confusing
to you, please let me know so that I can improve it.  Note that the
links in the online version are messed up, though.  I've fixed them in
CVS, but they've not been updated online yet.  I think most of the
'jhbuild' links are supposed to point to
http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/jhbuild.html.  You can get jhbuild from
GNOME cvs or from its bzr repository (see
http://blogs.gnome.org/view/jamesh/2006/05/01/0 for a little more info
on the bzr repository)

Jonner