Re: games / animation using gtkmm

"Joe Van Dyk" <joevandyk gmail com> writes:

> Has anyone done any game-like work or 2D (or 3D using gtkglext) using
> the gtkmm toolkit?  How'd it work for you?  Source available?

Here's an 2D arcade-like game I made a couple of years ago:

  http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/monster-masher/

> I guess I'm mainly interested in hearing how the gnomecanvas widget
> does at animation.

It made some things much, much easier for me, but it's not superfast
for animated things. I suspect I haven't used it quite the right way,
but I haven't had time to look deeper into it. Anyway, it is fast
enough on my old 950 MHz laptop to render Monster Masher fine, even
when things start warming up.

A good thing about using the gtkmm is that you get an extremely
powerful widget set at your disposal. If I were to start working on a
strategy game, I would definitely think seriously about that. You can
always make and bundle your own theme, if the greyish standard ones
are too dull.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/