drawing area improvement

hello

I think that my plotting of points on Gtk::DrawingArea
derived object are a bit of slow:

I need a black background, so I'm drawing a black
square that fills all Gtk::DrawingArea;

I need color points, so I'm plotting it over the black
square;

I put a timer that calls
Gtk::DrawingArea::queue_draw() every few miliseconds
!!!;

That is, each timer iteration, my Gtk::DrawingArea
derived object must to be updated and perform these 3
operations...

can I improve that ??? ( see attached file )

thanks