Re: TreeView

Leandro Fanzone wrote:

Along with Caryl, I will give my opinion about it, having used both CList and TreeView over a number of years. Probably both are the two possible extremes of what one really needs. CList was far too simplistic, but quick enough to throw a list of something "right now" in a dialog. TreeView, on the other hand, is far too complex, baroque as nothing is in gtk(mm), though excellently wrapped in C++, it is still very dificult to understand (especially if you have to customize it a liitle), and I found myself ending up copying/pasting code from past projects to make it work, and writing more generic code to achieve the usual things: numeric/string columns with validations, with all the usual stuff to add them. I think, for the first comer, it's appallingly overwhelming to learn enough to be a scholar especialized in TreeView just to show a small list of data, which is something quite usual for any application out there. If we add to that the serious performance problems TreeView has with large amounts of rows, well, it seems to be reasonable to have CList back, if only to have an option, both for the newbie, for the quick-and-dirty stuff, and for the "I need the simplest and faster one to show a zillion of rows". My two (argentinean peso) cents here.

Leandro.

It has been about 12 months since I first got involved with gtkmm (after trying gtk first), and I must say I found the Gtk::TreeView implementation confusing having come from windows and the CList. I have to agree that it was daunting. However, once I got a handle on it, I find it to be a very useful tool. I love the ability to switch Gtk::TreeModel's in and out of the same Gtk::TreeView. Because I have not had a situation that required displaying "zillions of rows", I cannot comment on that except to say that I don't think the display of that much data in a GUI makes a lot of sense in the real world. <Bob dons his asbestos suit>.

Bob
begin:vcard
fn:Robert Caryl
n:Caryl;Robert
org:Fiscal Systems, Inc.
adr:;;102 Commerce Circle;Madison;AL;35758;USA
email;internet:bob fis-cal com
title:Senior Software Design Engineer
tel;work:356-772-8920 X108
x-mozilla-html:TRUE