Re: gtkmm, cairo, and XLib

On 1/24/06, Pierre THIERRY <nowhere man levallois eu org> wrote:
> Isn't it possible for Xlib to use:
>
> #ifdef __cplusplus
> namespace X11 {
> #endif

> #ifdef __cplusplus
> } // namespace X11
> #endif

It's an intriguing idea, but I doubt that would be possible, because
code compiled in a c++ compiler is subject to name mangling.  So you'd
have to have two libraries compiled: one for C apps to link against
and one for C++ apps to link against since the symbol names would be
different (at least if I understand correctly).  Even then, it still
wouldn't solve all of the problems.  They would still have
preprocessor macros running roughshod over all other code, regardless
of C++ namespaces.

jonner