More statically linked adventure

Hey guys,

Well, I managed to dig around and get rid of all the unresolved symbol
problems reported during link.  It's amazing how much larger the
resulting executable image is; in this case, it's sixteen times larger
(and that is with all the debug stuff stripped out).  I do get several
warnings that tell me that my glibc shared libs must match (between what
exists on the machine running the app and the glibc library that existed
on the machine upon which the compile and link operation occurred.)
According to what I find on google, this is not a problem unless, of
course, I am trying to run on an older machine with and older version of
glibc.

However, any celebration on my part is premature, since the application
crashes with a seg-fault on startup that I can trace to a call by gtk+
trying to do a dlopen of a pango .so.

Two questions:

1.  Is it normal for a statically linked application to attempt to
dlopen a shared library?
2.  Are there some g++ command line arguments necessary to forestall
this behavior in the statically linked application?

I sure hope one of you guys can point me in the correct direction on this.

Thanks,

Bob Caryl