get_window() question

I have classes derived from Gtk::Button packed inside of a VBox inside
of an EventBox.

When I call get_window() on any of the buttons, I don't get back the
Gdk::Window that encloses the button.  The window is the size of the
Vbox/EventBox.

I can see the buttons have their own X windows running xwininfo, but I
can't seem to get a hold of individual Gdk::Windows.

My main question is how can I get the individual windows? And a
secondary but related question is, why does get_window() return the
parent window?