GC::create( window ? )

I've decided to port my killer ap from c/gtk2 to c++/gtkmm...

my conversion so far has done the minimal to get the eye candy showing,
along with a perfunctory toolbar and menu - I am using help from the
gtkmm tutorial to figure out how to accomplish this.

As in the tut, I

window = GC::create(get_window());   // something like that

 The drawing area I'm using however, is beneath a toolbar, beneath a
menu, beneath the WM decoration, and thus the topleft of my pretty
patterns are not where they should be.

So how do I align whatever I GC::create with, to the drawing area ?
Must I workout offsets where to place my graphics?
Must I  use a window aquired with get_window()  as arguement to
GC::create()  or will other widgets work?

Thanks for any help/clarification with this,
James.