Re: Images and ProgressBars

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 18:46 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I've got two questions.  The first is with drawing images.  I've read
> quite a few of the old mailing list posts on drawing images and the
> such, I just wanted to see if anyone had any pointers.
>
> Basically my situation is that I've got a time lapse movie stored as
> single frames in a non-standard format, and I'm using Gtkmm to provide a
> movie playback application.  I'll say that I'm not having a problem
> getting things working.  It works rather well.  I'm getting playback
> frame rates of 20-30 fps depending on hardware and network speeds (
> files are accessed via NFS ).
>
> I'm going through what I'll call the standard method of using a
> Gdk::Pixbuf and rendering to a Gtk::DrawingArea.  My question is, is
> there a better way to do things.  I've got a fairly old Motif
> application that can whip through the images at upwards of 40 to 50
> fps.  I know most of you are probably thinking 20-30 is decent, but I'm
> going to be adding some pre-processing of the images and I want to try
> and keep things as fast as possible.
>
> My first guess is that the bottle neck is all of the memory operations I
> need to do to get the image from my non-standard fromat (8bpp pixel
> array) to the 24bpp that Pixbuf expects.  So if anyone has any ideas on
> using a different set of widgets or has an idea on how to draw directly
> to the screen or something, I'd like to hear.

If you don't get good replies here, I think you might get informative
advice on gtk-list. They are more likely to know about the low-level
performance of different parts of GTK+.

You might also consider making a gstreamer plugin for your non-standard
format. Then you could reuse a lot of gstreamer/totem code.

> My second question is probably simpler to answer.  In the same app, I
> use a progress bar to display the percentage of the movie played.  I was
> wondering if its possible to connect an event handler to receive mouse
> clicks that would translate into a fraction of the progress bar.  I know
> that a slider would be the 'appropriate' widget for this type of action,
> but ProgressBars are prettier, and allow for a text label in the background.

It's probably possible, yes. It does sound like a bad idea.

www.openismus.com