Re: differents documentations for same version

On Apr 11, 2006, at 1:02 PM, eduardo fiss beloni wrote:
My first 2 (little) projects in gtkmm-2.4 were on
ubuntu 5.10.
Now, I'm using Debian Sarge, but for same version
(libgtkmm-2.4), these two OS contains differents
documentations (and implementations) of gtkmm (of
course, these docs are just a bit of diff).
Could you tell me why?

Debian Sarge is the current stable version. And Debian Stable is very, well, stable - no new package versions are introduced until the next stable release, unless needed to fix critical bugs or security holes (and even then, they fix the versions they ship as much as they can). Ubuntu does the same thing, but they have much more frequent stable releases. Debian Stable is currently shipping GTKmm 2.4.

And... what I must to do to replace my Sarge's
libgtkmm-2.4 to Ubuntu's libgtkmm-2.4 (the last is
"prettier" than the first)

Use packages from Debian Testing (etch). Etch currently has GTKmm 2.6 (pkg-config reports 2.6.5 on my testing/unstable system). Ubuntu ships either 2.6 or 2.8, I don't remember; it's been a while since I've run Ubuntu. But don't be too afraid of Debian Testing - in my experience, it's been as stable as anything for a general desktop system.

Plus, if you want, you can grab GTKmm from testing and still use Sarge for the rest of your system; see the APT HOWTO for how to do that.

- Michael