Re: Libglademm and Glademm code for Gtkmm

I don't really have anything in the way of reading material to give you. I can say that I started out using Glade with Glademm and then moved to using libgaldemm. Glademm works fairly well for what its supposed to do. I never had any problems with implementing Glademm code. Once you start to understand what it can and can't do. Specific examples would be like implementing your own TreeView. The reason I started to move to libglademm is mostly for project management reasons. libglademm reduces the amount of actuall lines of code to an insanely small amount. Although you may not actually be writing the classes generated by Glademm, you still have to keep track of them in cvs or svn. libglademm can replace all the generated code with a single xml file. This makes me very happy.

The libglademm interface is very straightforward. Calls to get_widget to get widgets of interest. The best thing is that you never have to even see widgets you don't care about.

Not to be overly biased, ther are a few downfalls. You do have to keep track of widget names between your code and Glade. Not that you didn't have to with Glademm but its not as explicit. You don't have files named after widgets.

Basically, libglademm hides alot of the implementation of the user interface. You can pull out references to specific widgets you need access to and treat them as any class that was generated by Glademm. You can also have derived widgets just the same as with Glademm.

I would say that the largest issue with Glademm is the fact you have to keep track of the xml( glade ) file. You have to be able to install it somehwere your program will be able to read it. I've thought about making it a define and including it with in the executable. I use libxml2 in quite a few of my projects and I know reading from memory is supported. I don't know if this is possible with the libglademm interface or not, but it would make things even more nice and tidy.

So if that didn't make any sense, which is the way I remember it, here it is in Reader's Digest.

Glademm works just fine. libglademm works better. Its only downfall is the need to keep track of the .glade file. This might be alleviated by doing some trickery and including the .glade file in the executable and using libglademm to read from memory.

Thats about all I've got.

Paul

Arthur wrote:

Hey, guys, if anyone could give me a hint about if there is any advantage of using only libglademm when working with gtkmm, instead of using Glademm generated code, I would be very pleased. Could you send me any reading reference about it?

Thank you in advance.

Arthur Maciel