Screen size of a Gtk::ScrolledWindow

If my Gtk::ScrolledWindow holds a Gtk::Layout, say I call set_size_request(2000,2000).
I believe the virtual area of the layout is 2000 by 2000 pixels.

Is there a way I can force the screen size of the Scrolled Window to only occupy and appear as 500 pixels by 500 pixels on an application?

I tried putting the scrolled window on a Gtk::VBox, Gtk::Table. They didn't do what I wanted.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.