Re: Plug-in architecture

Now this is a bit odd. I'm actually getting ready to start on a project that is almost exactly like this. And my name is Paul Davis too.

Anyway, I've only ever used libdl for loading plugins. Its worked fairly well for me. Its a rather simple api and does wonders. There are a few interesting issues while using it with C++ but nothing extremely difficult to overcome.

The header is dlfcn.h and the library is just dl ( -ldl ). Check it out. You can take a look at the

A good write up can be found here:
http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_158.html#SEC158

The only thing is that description uses the autotools building which I consider to be a thing of the past. www.scons.org is a much better build package. All of the setting up of automake and the other tools described in that book are replaced with a single line in scons. Which makes me mighty happy.

This is how I plan to use plugins for my project. Let me know if you have any luck with the glib stuff.

Paul Davis

not the same as this Paul Davis VVVVV