Re: MIT-SHM example

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 17:03 +0000, Rose Cumming wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone have a reference to an example of how to use MIT shared memory
> extension?
> I use gtkmm 2.2 and try to render an image using MIT-SHM on a gtkmm window.
>
> A simple client example of setting up the window, and modify raw pixel will
> help.
> Perhaps a reference to the MIT-SHM API will help. I can't find any clues.

you're a little confused, i believe.

client-side software doesn't use the MIT-SHM unless its part of the Xlib
implementation that talks to the X server. its just way to (drastically)
reduce the amount of data passed over the serialized communication link
with the server. but its very very low level; even GDK (the drawing kit)
doesn't really mess with things at that level.

if you are writing stuff that renders images, you have no reason to
think about whether MIT-SHM exists or not - Xlib will take care of that
for you.

--p