signal within a signal handler

I'm curious, is it legal to emit a signal within a handler for another
signal?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to do such a thing
and I keep getting a segfault when the event occurs.

for example, I have a custom widget that has defined an
on_button_press_event function to handle button_press_event signals.
Inside that handler, I want to emit another signal called
signal_selected.  When I emit the signal with no handlers connected to
it, it seems to work fine.  When I connect any handler functions to
the signal_selected signal, I get a segfault, even if the handler
function does nothing more than return true.

This is the first time I've tried creating and emitting my own
signals, and I"m getting rather frustrated.  Anybody have any tips?