Re: Glib::ConvertError (or: I obviously still don't understand Glib::ustring)

I have made an observation. It doesn't fix the problem, but it's a start:

As I said, when I create files from the shell (presumably in ISO-8859-1 encoding) which contain umlauts, all terminal emulators I have tried as well as nautilus don't seem to have any problem displaying it (which is kind of weird, since ISO-8859-1 shouldn't even be able to store umlauts, right?!).

Anyway, I deleted the file, opened Nautilus, and recreated the file in Nautilus, which probably means that it is UTF-8 encoded now. After doing that, my program didn't crash anymore when trying to read that file!

However, in aterm the umlaut in the file is now displayed as garbage, which is understandable since my locale isn't set to UTF-8 (actually UTF-8 would be cool to have, but unfortunately the font I'm using in aterm can't display UTF-8 characters).

So maybe it's really an issue with a messed locale setup on my machine? But then again, why would all these programs not have any prolems displaying the ISO-8859-1 encoded file, while my program does?

Regards,
Matthias