Re: ustring vs std::string

>> What are your thoughts about this?
> Has anyone seen a definative write up on this anywhere?

No, I haven't seen any good writeups, and yes, this is a real pain - it seems the C++ standards committee has really dropped the ball in modernizing C++ std::string to accomodate the language issue, which has led to other packages doing things like glib::ustring and Qt Qstring, all which leads to more non standard coding. Of course there are always reasons or justifications, but in my opinion, the failure of C++ to keep modernizing will just continue to lead programmers to go to other languages (ie C#, ruby, Ajax/php ....). Even the new proposed additions to c++ seem so little, so late.

Meanwhile, in our c++ code, we use std::string throughout, accept the limitations it may cause, and in our gtkmm gui code are constantly converting from std::string using raw, etc. If you are purely locked into gtkmm, then it probably makes sense to forget std::string and just go glib::ustring. If you need to change your gui later, you can always do search and replace, though a pain. Looking ahead, we're just planning to move away from c++ to a more modern, productive environment.