Re: Glib::ustring tradeoffs?

Dear Gaz,

I don't know a compare,review or something like this. I can only say what I know. Instead of std::wstring glib::ustring is consequent. std::wstring uses on some systems the 32-Bit and on other systems like windows wchar_t is only 16 Bit ( unsigned short ) I know that there are some functions for example in the WinAPI are abled to convert between encodings. Another annoying thing is that I can neither use std::fstream nor std::wfstream with wchar_t * filenames. Since there are filesystems are abled using unicode characters. I think there is a big need for a review on this section of the IOStreams Library in the standard

With best regards,

Vinzenz 'evilissimo' Feenstra

Foster, Gareth schrieb:

What are your thoughts about this?

My thoughts are that the whole business of strings in C++ is anoying, it's a
real shame this can't all be resolved within the standard. I am sure there
are good reasons why things are as they are, but I don't claim to understand
them. I'm still not even sure about std::wstring vs glib:ustring for
example.

Has anyone seen a definative write up on this anywhere?

Gaz