Re: Glib::ustring tradeoffs?

Foster, Gareth wrote:
My thoughts are that the whole business of strings in C++ is anoying, it's a
real shame this can't all be resolved within the standard. I am sure there
are good reasons why things are as they are, but I don't claim to understand
them. I'm still not even sure about std::wstring vs glib:ustring for
example.

You can say that again. What's also annoying is that everything is mixed up. For example, almost everything in gtkmm uses Glib::ustring, but most of the functions for which I wanted to abandon boost::filesystem (e.g. glib::path_get_basename) return std::stringS. Maybe there is a reason for it, I don't know.

So even if I'd change everything to Glib::ustring, I'd still had to mess with 1-byte strings now and then and this may be critical for my program because it's a filemanager and broken path names will obviously break the program.

- Matthias