Re: glibmm building and sigc++ problem

TJ,

pkg-config sigc++-2.0 --libs
gives me
-lsigc-2.0

Which is right.

You should look in /usr/local/lib for libsigc-2.0 libraries.

Now, if you want to try something, you can reconfigure and install the libraries to /usr/lib and /usr/include

from "./configure --help" :
By default, `make install' will install all the files in
`/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

so that would be:
./configure --prefix=/usr
./make
./make install

Try that out and see if it helps. If you have everything built alread it shouldn't take very long to do. Its not the best way to do things, but it shoudl work.

Paul

tj wrote:

Still doesn't work. The problem might be that the libs for sigc++ are named libsigc-2.0.0.0 under the build directory libsigc++-2.0.16./sigc++/.libs from libsigc++-2.0.16.tar.gz Which then is installed as such in /usr/local/lib.

So why is glibmm looking for libsigc++ when the sigc++ distro installs it as libsigc?

tj

Paul Davis wrote:

TJ,

pkg-config needs a path to the lib directory where sigc++ was installed. Pretty much what happened is when you installed those packages from tarball they got put into /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib ( not /usr/include and /usr/lib ) which is standard behavior for building software.

pkg-config needs to see /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig so that it can find the neccessary package information. You can add paths to search by exporting a PKG_CONFIG_PATH that lists directories to search.

ie something like export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/ If I recall correctly.

To test it and see if its working, try using:
pkg-config sigc++-2.0 --cflags --libs

That should print out the neccessary stuff for linking against sigc.

You'll come to find pkg-config is a very very nice utility for building software if you use it alot. Hope that helps.

Paul

tj wrote:

I am trying to install inkscape which requires glibmm anf gtkmm. However I can not get glibmm to configure. the complaint.

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `sigc++-2.0.pc'
No package 'sigc++-2.0' found
configure: error: Package requirements (sigc++-2.0 >= 2.0.0 glib-2.0 >= 2.6.0 gobject-2.0 >= 2.6.0 gmodule-2.0 >= 2.6.0) were not met.

Alternatively you may set the GLIBMM_CFLAGS and GLIBMM_LIBS environment variables
to avoid the need to call pkg-config.  See the pkg-config man page for
more details.

I installed  libsigcc 2.0.16 form tar ball and a  ldconfig returns
       libsigc-2.0.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libsigc-2.0.so.0
       libsigc-2.0.so (libc6) => /usr/local/lib/libsigc-2.0.so

So why is the glibmm configure unhappy...
While I did the original Linux install with Slackware 10.1, I do not use just packages. I get the latest tar ball from the host site, like glibmm and sigc.

Does the configure script require that all requirments HAVE TO BE INSTALLED via some kid of package management system rather then just chacking fo the presense of the libraries?

I've never had a configure script saying that package information has to be there.

tj