How to make fonts look the same?

I am setting some very small font size for some of the text I have, via
FontDescription::set_size.  The problem I am facing is that the resulting
fonts look substantially different on GNOME than on KDE.  While everything
works fine on GNOME, KDE renders this particular font size of 5 nearly
unreadable.  Increasing the font size to 6 made it readable on KDE, but
then this same font rendered on GNOME became so tall, it no longer fit
the label allocated to it.

My question is: is there any trick I could use that would make fonts
look exactly the same on both desktops?  Any examples?  I've heard of
something called fixed-size fonts, but I don't really know what these
are and whether they would solve my problem.

Thanks,

Nickolai Dobrynin