Re: Drag and drop mysteries

>Ah okay. So I have to investigate the X dnd mechanism as well as GNOME
>MIME types to get a clue of the available draggable data types?

a) MIME is not limited to GNOME
b) the problem is that it doesn't quite work that way ;)

drop targets register the kinds of targets they can accept. drag
sources register the kinds of targets they can generate. negotation
must ensue ...

if you know (and control) the drag source, you can handle things
easily enough in the drop target. otherwise, the target has two
choices:

	1) enumerate all possible types ("*/*") and figure out
	   a way to convert. can you say "ugh!"

	2) enumerate a specific list of types that it can accept
	   and be unable to accept a drop from sources that
	   do not generate them

--p