Changing widget styles

I have two issues that are more a problem of style then function - but good style is important.

1. I have an eventbox, which I currently set the background color to white - like a textviw widget. But not all themes have white as their lighter color - where can I access this color information? (like the fg[insensitive]?)

2. I have a menu in a toolbar, by putting it in a toolitem. I needed to for proper buttons beside the menu. Anyways, most themes leave the toolbar with an ugly SHADOW_OUT - which I found in the Gtk+ Source. What I didn't find is how to set it to SHADOW_NONE - and there is no obvious way to set it for a menubar.

-Sud.