Problem ./configuring GTKMM - GLIBMM configured, built, and installed fine

Hello all, I hate to ask this here, but I've tried just about everything
I know to try.  I did quickly check the archives but most of the posts
were from prior years and even those did not seem to help me much.

Anyway, I've got a slackware 10.1 with Dropline GNOME (with current
updates).  Anjuta failed to compile my test gtkmm project so with trying
things here and there and still not figuring it out I tried to just
install gtkmm from source.  I got glibmm to build and install without
problem.

But trying to get gtkmm to ./configure I get this message:

checking for getc_unlocked... yes
checking for glibmm-2.4 >= 2.6.0 atk >= 1.9.0... Requested 'glibmm-2.4
>= 2.6.0' but version of GLibmm is 2.4.7
configure: error: Library requirements (glibmm-2.4 >= 2.6.0 atk >=
1.9.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment
variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can
find them.

I mean I know what that's telling me but I'm not sure how to fix it.  I
double checked and it looks like glibmm is configuring and installing as
2.4 not the 2.6 or whatever the latest stable version is.  I did read
somewhere that that is normal as it's binary compatible, but then I'm
not sure how to get gtk to configure with it.  I even tried going into
the .pc file for glibmm and changing it from 2.4 to 2.6 but that just
led to a lot of compile errors (it did configure but the make failed).

Any guidance would be appreciated.  If there is other information that
would help you help me, please let me know and I'll get it to you all.

Thanks a bunch!

Jason