Handling Unix signals?

I think this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find any references to a solution:

How do I handle Unix signals in a Gtkmm application? I mean, when I want the (Unix, not Gtk) signal handler to do operations on the GUI? Simply calling gtk(mm) methods from a handler installed using signal() or sigaction() is dangerous, as far as I can tell, as you never know what the Gtk code was doing when the signal occurred, and it could be in a state where another Gtk or X call would be a bad thing.

Differently put, I'm looking for the Gtk+ or Gtkmm equivalent to XtNoticeSignal(). Is there one? Actually, some sort of a delayed signal emit would probably do the trick, but I can't find a way to do that.

- Toralf