Re: Using (or not using) sigc::mem_fun with the G_CALLBACK macro

On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 17:48 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 12:39 -0500, Bob Caryl wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > I am using the GtkHTML widget to create a help viewer for my
> > application.  It works well, but I cannot use gtkmm to create my
> > application window because The Compiler
> >
> >  <Bob drops to the floor and genuflects>
> >
> > just freaks out when I try to use a derived window class-member function
> > as an argument for the GTK G_CALLBACK macro (using a call to
> > sigc::mem_fun() ) when doing a signal connection to the GtkHTML object.
> > Hence, I have been forced to write the entire thing as a standalone
> > application using only GTK :-(
>
> sigc::mem_fun() produces a slot. a slot is in almost no way related to a
> ptr-to-function as required for GTK C callbacks.
>
> if you want to use C++ and sigc++, plan on using gtkmm, not GTK
> directly.

And if you must provided a C function pointer, you'll need to provide a
pointer to a static method (or global function) and the state
information as user_data. See the various SignalProxy classes, for
instance, in TreeSelection.

www.openismus.com