Re: gtkmm-list Digest, Vol 14, Issue 43

The POSIX Single Unix Specification provides in relation to write()
that:

"Write requests to a pipe or FIFO shall be handled in the same way as
regular file with the following exceptions:

  Write requests of {PIPE_BUF} bytes or less shall not be interleaved
with
  data from other processes doing writes on the same pipe. Writes of
greater
  than {PIPE_BUF} bytes may have data interleaved, on arbitrary
boundaries,
  with writes by other processes, whether or not the O_NONBLOCK flag
of the
  file status flags is set.

  ..."

PIPE_BUF is never less than 512 and is usually 2048 in size.
Admittedly the
standard only requires writes by different processes to be atomic with
write of a size not greater than that, but it would be odd if the same
behaviour were not exhibited by different threads within one process.
If you
are using Windows, I thought that it was POSIX compliant?

That does not protect against race conditions. If the send_notification (emit()) thread is interrupted right in the middle of the write(2) call, we will end up with another thread doing a write(2) and another one overlapping is atomicity is not guaranteed. As per the POSIX standard upholding, I am not seeing such atomicity guarantees under Conectiva Linux 9 kernel 2.4.x series with Linuxthreads. It could be just a problem with my development environment (which should not be since I am able to reproduce this problem under Mandriva Linux) but we should not rely on that but do take a safer approach right from the start.

	Also, not all systems are fully POSIX compliant and the libs
should (I emphasize should over "have to" here :) do their best to produce similar behavior despite the environment differences.

Unfortunaly gnome.org is down at the moment so I cannot look up your
mailing
list references, but why is it that mutexes around the write call
don't solve
the issue (if in fact different threads within the same process do not

benefit from the POSIX atomicity guarantees)?  That should avoid
concurrent
writes to the Dispatcher pipe in every case.

Okay, here is my theory from what I gathered from gdb. This is just a theory. Others more experienced with {glib,gtk}mm inner workings should know better. Well, under some irregular circunstances it is possible to lock up all threads (including the main thread and the controller thread for that matter) if a send_notification thread is preempted in the middle of it's execution while holding the lock. If the main/controller thread tries to use the send_notification (emit()), it will end up waiting on that mutex. Dead lock. Any way, even if this is not the case, I am experienced deadlocks with that approach.

Well, it could be said that I have a flawed program design. However, we are doing it all by the book, mutexes on the dispatcher method receiver, etc. And, the program runs smoothly with the sleep trick.

void Dispatcher::emit()
{
   Glib::usleep(1000);
   notifier_->send_notification(this);