Re: Realtime safe signalling?

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 10:48:07 +0300, Igor Gorbounov wrote:
> Do you mean this quote from
> http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/glibmm-2.4/docs/reference/html/classGlib_1_1Dispatcher.html:
> "After instantiation, Glib::Dispatcher will never lock any mutexes on
> its own. The interaction with the GLib main loop might involve locking
> on the /receiver/ side. The /sender/ side, however, is guaranteed not to
> lock, except for internal locking in the |write()| system call." ?

Hm... I have not investigated it. I just saw some mutexes in the code...
But if the docs say it's ok, it should be...

> But can FIFO, created wth the use of mkfifo, be of a proper use for RT
> signals? There is a special file created in
> a filesystem - is it good?

The fact that it's in a filesystem is only important when opening it.
Once it is open, it's just a fifo. However, it might still block if the
reader is too slow and the internal buffer fills up. So it's ok for soft
realtime (where it's acceptable to block once in a year) but not hard
realtime.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>