TreeViewColumn sorting capabilities

Hello,

I need to sort a view on a directory in several different ways, but I want to assure that

1. Files and directories always appear separated
2. The sorting should be stable

As of now, I use std::partition to sort a vector holding boost::filesystem::pathS such that all directories come first, everything else after. I keep an iterator to the position of the first file. Then, I use std::stable_sort to sort both ranges, the one with the directories and the one with the files.

However, I don't actually need the sort order on this level, it would be sufficient to only have a sorted view on it. Since I am using ListStore to display the directory contents, I was wondering if the sorting capabilities of this class are sufficient. (I have already experimented a little, but the sorting mixed up directories and files).

I also don't really understand what all the functions are doing (documentation is somewhat lacking). What do e.g.

1. set_sort_column
2. set_sort_column_id

do?

A short code example how to use these functions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
Matthias Kaeppler