getting to pango alignment in cellrenderertext

I need to output right aligned text in a tree view column.
Some of the cells contain more than one line of text - say "3\n33\n333".

Setting cell renderer's alignment property doesn't affect the
layout used to render the text, and what I wind up with is
a left justified pango layout that's right aligned in the column:

  column      as opposed to what I need         column
--------      to achieve (a right justified   --------
     3        pango layout that's right              3
     33       aligned in the column:                33
     333                                           333

I've skimmed documentation (down to gtk level) of pango markup
and attribute lists and nothing which would set the layout's
justification sprung out at me.  Getting to the layout which
gtk_cell_renderer_text_get_size() and gtk_cell_renderer_text_render()
doesn't appear possible either.

Am I missing something or is implementing a custom cell renderer
based on the text renderer best course of action?

Thanks for any and all input!