Cell background color

Hi all,
I've a tree view with multiple columns (say 4 ),
when ever i select a row, by default all the columns are getting selected i.e., highlighted
What i want is when ever i select a row, i want only some of the columns to be highlighted, rest all should not be highlighted.
How can i do that.
I've already written a custom cell renderer derived from CellRendererText, and i've over ridden render_vfunc. But i'm not able to do the above said one.

Any tips would be of great help to me.
Thanks,
Surya