Gtk::TreeView::set_cursor problem

Hey Everyone,

I have a situation where I have a TreeView displaying a TreeStore using
two columns.  Both columns are using Gtk::CellRendererText renderers.
Both renderer's have their "editable" properties set to TRUE.  If a row
is selected without double-clicking on a particular column (to begin
editing) and I just start typing, a *separate* small window opens at the
*bottom* border of the treeview (half on and half off the treeview) and
the text I'm typing begins appearing there.  The other weird thing is
that if I stop typing for about three seconds, the separate window
disappears.  The text typed into this phantom cell does not appear in
either column of the selected row.

During this entire process, I get *no* assertions of any kind in the
user console window.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Bob