Re: License question

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 21:38, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

[snip]

> For example, my business partner and I just started the libx3d project
> (http://libx3d.sourceforge.net/) and the license we intend to use is
> the LGPL. There might possibily be some templates available for the
> library, so we might want to reconsider using the license. But the
> point is, even released under the LGPL, we are only interested in a)
> allowing the code to be used in another application, open source or
> proprietary, and b) if changes are made, share them back out so we all
> can benefit. This is why for the SSWF library (http://sswf.sf.net),
> the license chosen was the BSD.

The traditional BSD licence does not require your point b, so the SSWF library
may have missed its target.  (Otherwise OS X would not have been developed by
Apple.)

It looks as if the GNU libstdc++ licence or a LGPL modified along the lines I
have mentioned might be the answer.

You can modify the licence any time you like provide that all those who hold
the copyright consent - which is the authors unless they have assigned
copyright or have produced it in the course of their employment.  (This is
English law, I do not know about your own jurisdiction.)

Chris