Setting font to generic style (monospace)

Hi!

I'm trying to set the font of a TextView GTKmm-component; therefore I need a
Pango::FontDescription, for which I need the font family name. But I don't
want/need to set an explicit name (as that font may not be available on every
machine), I just need one with fixed width (the text field is expected to
contain some sort of program code).

Is it possible to use a generic font (in the style of CSS) - i.e., just
monospaced, serif, sans-serif... which is provided at every computer - instead
of an explicit font family?

Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Daniel Kraft