Re: ustring::validate() costs?

Hej!

It would be nice to figure out in my program for /each/ file I read, in which character set it is encoded. Is this possible? I only found functions so far which can either read the locale's character set or check if some filename is valid UTF-8 (or not), but no function which individually probes for a certain file in which character set its filename is encoded.

I am no expert in "character-string encodings", but I guess that this is not possible, since no string contains information about the actual encoding type. The only thing it contains is the encoded string itself. The encoding type is usually taken from the locale if I am not completely mistaken.

Cheers

Stephan